In this 1895 photograph, the earliest house photo in the collections of Deepwood Museum & Gardens , Deepwood House appears quite stately even before its glorious gardens were installed.
In 1895 attorney (later judge) George Bingham and wife Willie Harrison Bingham bought the property. Following the Bingham's deaths in 1924, their daughter, Alice Bingham Powell, sold her childhood home to hop/wool broker Clifford Brown and his wife Alice Bretherton Brown. The Browns and their two young sons, Chandler and Werner, moved in after making some modifications to the house; unfortunately, Clifford died just two years later. In 1929, widowed Alice Brown commissioned the new firm of Lord & Schryver, the first female-owned landscape architecture firm in the Northwest, to begin design of what would later become the Deepwood Gardens. Following this massive project, Elisabeth Lord and Edith Schryver went on to design over 250 gardens in the region and continued to advise their friend Alice Brown on her gardens throughout their lives. (For more information click here.)